January is here, and Black Heart’s editors are finalizing our decisions for pieces to be included in our new “Best of Black Heart” yearly anthology!
A total of 10 pieces will be published in both the Short Stories and Poetry sections, and for Creative Nonfiction we will include 6 Character Crushes and Lobster Telephone guest posts, along with 5 of our favorite Author Interviews that have appeared on the site.
Selected pieces will be published in both a digital and print-on-demand anthology, and all contributing authors will receive digital copies of the volume.
All stories and poems published on our site between January 1, 2013 and November 30, 2013 are eligible for inclusion in this year’s anthology. (Work published after November 30, 2013 will be eligible for inclusion in our 2014 anthology.)
Our short list for inclusion in this year’s anthology is as follows:
- “For a Crescendo” by Peter Baltensperger
- “Relativity” by Leah Kaminsky
- “Abusement Park” by Stewart Kirby
- “Roar” by Jennifer Luckenbill
- “The Modern Woman” by Amanda Miska
- “Insomnia” by Kathryn Roberts
- “You Were the Girl Who” by Susan Rukeyser
- “Re: Certain Kinds of Perspective” by Pat Siebel
- “Flowers for Mr. Jones” by Bryston Strong
- “Hands on Metallic Ponds” by Ursula Villarreal-Moura
- “Cathedral” by Jennifer Faylor
- “Love Letter Written on a Ferris Wheel” by Ricky Garni
- “Glamour in France” by Aunia Kahn
- “Reading the Steam” by Steve Klepetar
- “Old Friend, Butcher, Despot” by Corey Mesler
- “Let Me Lie” by Candice Reyes
- “A Nocturne” by Shane Rooney
- “Pen Pals” by Merica Teng
- “Lucky Charm” by Donald Vincent
- “In Taiwan” by Susan Levi Wallach
CREATIVE NONFICTION – CHARACTER CRUSHES & GUEST POSTS
- “Bad Rep Mantra” by Resa Alboher
- “Childhood Love Never Dies” by Gabriella Geisinger
- “Character Crush: Coco Darling” by Gabino Iglesias
- “Character Crush: Ms. Robin Glenn, ‘The Surfing Bride’” by Mark Pfannenstiel
- “Character Crush: Todd of Scary Kisses” by Misti Rainwater-Lites
- “Tinker Bell: A Character Crush” by Dave Wright
Stay tuned for more information on how to pre-order your copy, coming soon!